Poisons are substances that can cause harm or death when ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. Many are natural substances, such as cyanide or arsenic, while others are man-made, such as thallium or mercury. While some poisons are used to kill pests or vermin, others are potent enough to kill people. Here are the 10 deadliest poisons in the world.
Photo Credit: Sky News
Dioxin is one of the deadliest poisons in the world. It is an extremely toxic chemical compound that is created as an unwanted by-product in the production of certain herbicides, fungicides, and other industrial processes. It can also be created when materials such as plastics, paper, and wood are burned. Even in small doses, dioxin can be extremely harmful to humans and other living organisms.
Dioxin is a persistent organic pollutant, meaning it does not break down easily in the environment and can accumulate in living organisms over time. In humans, the toxicity of dioxin can cause a wide range of health issues such as cancer, reproductive issues, and even death. It is known to be one of the most toxic substances known to science and can cause serious damage even in minuscule doses.
Photo Credit: Science
Tetrodotoxin is one of the deadliest poisons in the world, capable of killing a human being in just minutes. It is a powerful neurotoxin, present in certain species of marine animals, especially the pufferfish and the blue-ring octopus. This toxin is one of the most potent natural poisons known to man and is a thousand times more powerful than cyanide. It causes paralysis of the muscles and in extreme cases, respiratory failure and death.
Tetrodotoxin works by blocking the action of sodium channels in the cells of the nervous system, preventing the transmission of nerve signals. This prevents the cells from contracting, which can lead to paralysis, respiratory failure and eventually death. Although there is no known antidote, early medical intervention can help reduce the severity of the symptoms and the chances of survival.
8- VX Nerve Agent
Photo Credit: NY Times
VX nerve agent is one of the deadliest poisons in the world. It is an oily, odourless liquid which can be absorbed through the skin and inhaled. It is the most toxic of the known chemical warfare agents. VX works by inhibiting the transmission of nerve signals to the muscles, causing paralysis and eventually death. It is highly persistent and difficult to detect due to its odourless and colourless nature. Exposure to just 10 milligrams of VX can be fatal.
It is estimated that a single drop is enough to kill a person within minutes. VX has no known antidote and can remain active in the environment for months or even years. It has been used in assassinations and suspected chemical warfare attacks. As a result, VX is classified as a weapon of mass destruction by the United Nations. It is also considered a violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention and is strictly regulated.
Photo Credit: CFR
Sarin is one of the deadliest poisons known to man. It is a neurotoxin, meaning it attacks the nervous system. It was originally developed as a pesticide, but it has since been used for other purposes. Sarin is odorless and colorless, making it difficult to detect. When inhaled, it can cause respiratory failure and even death within minutes. It can be absorbed through the skin as well as through contact with contaminated surfaces.
Sarin affects the body by disrupting the normal functions of the nervous system, causing seizures, paralysis, and death. It can also lead to long-term health problems such as blindness, difficulty breathing, and nerve damage. Sarin is considered a weapon of mass destruction and is banned by the Geneva Convention. It is also classified as a chemical weapon by the United Nations. Thankfully, no known cases of Sarin use have occurred since the end of the Cold War.
6- Sodium Fluoroacetate
Photo Credit: Chemistry World
Sodium Fluoroacetate is a highly toxic organic compound, which is undetectable by taste or smell. It acts quickly on the body to cause death in a matter of hours. It affects the body’s metabolism and causes a rapid drop in blood sugar levels. Also inhibits the production of energy in the cells and can be fatal in as little as one gram. It is commonly used in rat poison, and can also be found in some insecticides.
Symptoms of exposure include vomiting, abdominal pain, seizures, and respiratory failure. There is no antidote to the poison, so it is important to take precautions when handling the compound. The best approach is to wear protective clothing and use gloves, as well as to keep it away from children and pets. It is also important to dispose of any unused material in an appropriate manner.
Photo Credit: CBC
Strychnine is one of the deadliest poisons known to man. It is a potent neurotoxin with no known antidote. It is a white, crystalline, bitter-tasting powder derived from the seeds of several plants, particularly in the genus Strychnos. Ingestion of as little as 0.2 to 0.3 milligrams per kilogram of body weight can be fatal. Symptoms of strychnine poisoning include severe muscle spasms, spasms of the throat and neck, difficulty in breathing, seizures, and death. Strychnine is commonly used in rodenticides and as a pesticide for orchard pests. Ingestion of strychnine can be fatal for humans and animals, and extreme caution must be taken when using this poison.
Photo Credit: The Sun
Cyanide is one of the deadliest poisons in the world. It is a highly toxic chemical compound that is found in many common items, such as fruit pits and cigarette smoke. When inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin, it can quickly lead to death. Cyanide works by blocking the body’s ability to use oxygen, leading to a rapid buildup of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream. Symptoms of cyanide poisoning include dizziness, confusion, headaches, and nausea. In severe cases, it can lead to seizures, coma, and death. As a result, it is important to be aware of the sources of cyanide in the environment and to take precautions when handling items that may contain it. If you suspect cyanide poisoning, seek medical attention immediately.
Arsenic is one of the deadliest poisons known to mankind. It is naturally occurring in the environment and is found in water, air and even soil. It is tasteless and odorless and exists in many different forms, including liquids, solids and even gases. When ingested, arsenic can cause severe poisoning, resulting in death in some cases. It affects the nervous system, causing symptoms including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, confusion and even paralysis. Long-term exposure to arsenic can lead to an increased risk of cancer and other serious health problems. It is also highly toxic to plants, animals and aquatic life. To prevent unintentional arsenic poisoning, it is important to be aware of the environmental sources of arsenic and to take appropriate precautions when handling or ingesting it.
Photo Credit: USA Today
Ricin is one of the deadliest poisons on earth. It is extracted from castor beans and is highly toxic when swallowed, inhaled or injected. Ricin works by inhibiting protein synthesis in cells, leading to cell death. It can cause severe organ failure and even death in minutes. Symptoms of ricin poisoning include nausea, vomiting, excessive sweating, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, and seizures. Ricin can also cause severe internal bleeding and can be fatal if untreated.
Ricin can be administered through ingestion, injection, inhalation or absorption through the skin. It is odorless and tasteless and can be deadly in small doses. Ricin can survive extreme temperatures, making it difficult to detect or destroy. Ricin is also extremely difficult to detect in the body, making it a dangerous weapon of choice for terrorists. For these reasons, ricin is one of the deadliest poisons in the world.
1- Botulinum Toxic
Botulinum toxin is one of the deadliest poisons known to mankind. It is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum and can be found in soil and dust. Ingestion of the toxic can cause botulism, a potentially fatal form of food poisoning. Symptoms of botulism include difficulty swallowing, double vision, slurred speech, and muscle paralysis. The toxin can also be used in small doses as a cosmetic, muscle-relaxing agent.
The toxin works by blocking the transmission of nerve signals, which causes the muscles to relax and soften. Botulinum toxin is so potent that a single gram can kill up to one million people. As such, it must be stored and handled with extreme caution. In the wrong hands, it could be used to devastating effect. For this reason, it is highly regulated and only available to licensed medical professionals.